5.16.2009

It's a ...

My sister's last blog was titled "I will survive - Hairbows and Tutus"; it seems only fitting to start with that, since we're having...A GIRL!

David has been hoping for a boy since day one, and I was really feeling it was a boy until my last appointment. When I heard that the heartrate was at 160, I started questioning the Old Wives tale that girls have higher heartrates. Thursday night I was awake off and on, but I had a dream that it was a girl. I told David Friday morning that it was the first time I had a dream about the baby and it was a girl. Maybe it was just wishful thinking, but it turned out to be true!

We got some new ultrasound pictures, but none of them are super clear. I'll get them posted in the next few days. The doctor checked the baby and surroundings and said everything looked good. She measures right on track at 18 weeks and weighs about 8 oz. The doctor was checking the heart and all of the vitals and kind of ignoring the gender for a while. He finally moved down to the legs and feet and neither of us saw any boy parts (although the umbilical cord looked like it for a second). The doctor said "well, here is one leg, and here's the other, and I don't see anything between, so I'm saying it's a girl". Since he's a doctor, and we're not, we're going with his opinion! He certainly has a better shot at reading those blurry ultrasound pictures than either of us!

Now we're adjusting to saying "she" instead of "the baby" - such a funny transition.

Next project: find her a name!

3 comments:

Patty said...

CONGRATS! We are very excited that you're having a girl, and now Ryan can say "GIRL" too. Can't wait to see you guys tomorrow - looking forward to our visit!

Tania said...

Yeah! Very exciting to add another girl to the family!

Congrats!

Uncle Kevin & Aunt Shannah said...

It's a GIRL! I knew it would be! CONGRATULATIONS mommy & daddy!

When is your due date? I never have asked!

We're VERY excited to have a Niece... best of both worlds!

.